+358 50 330 2718
Tampereen Sähkölaitos is a modern energy group that has been the Pirkanmaa region's reliable power source for over a hundred years. Vexve’s Hydrox hydraulic solutions, designed and manufactured in Finland, are part of the reliable heat distribution of Tampereen Sähkölaitos.
In 2014, Vexve launched Hydrox hydraulic actuators and control units to facilitate the control of district energy networks even in the most challenging conditions. The actuators of the Hydrox product family are a safe and reliable choice for underground installations. Due to their compact size, the actuators can be installed in cramped chambers. Also, no electricity is needed underground, as the system's operation is based on hydraulic pressure from the street level.
In addition to hydraulic actuators, the product family offers a comprehensive selection of control units for various customer needs and applications. With the help of control units, actuators can be controlled either locally or remotely.
"With the help of smart valve and control solutions, it is possible to reduce heat distribution interruptions on critical distribution and transmission lines. Thanks to the targeted design and determined product development, we are involved in producing trouble-free heat distribution for consumers," says Henrikki Pekkonen, Product Manager for hydraulic control solutions.
A significant part of Tampereen Sähkölaitos’ district heat and electricity is produced by the joint production of the Naistenlahti and Tammervoima power plants. In addition, Hervanta's wood chip heating plant is also part of the heat production. Tampereen Sähkölaitos has also joined the carbon-neutral Tampere 2030 initiative. To reach the goal, the group participates in the initiative e.g. by modernizing existing district heating networks.
Tampereen Sähkölaitos is running a general overhaul program, the purpose of which is to modernize all concrete district heating ducts over DN 300 by the year 2030. The goal is to improve the reliability of heat supply and improve the efficiency of the district heating network by renewing the structures to more energy-efficient duct structures and at the same time reduce the amount of waste heat.
The energy group has been using Vexve's Hydrox hydraulic actuators and control units as control solutions for its networks already for several years. Hannu Perälä, the Building Developer of Tampereen Sähkölaitos, has been convinced of the functionality of hydraulic solutions.
"Once upon a time, we wanted to map out a new alternative for controlling district heating networks, and Vexve's hydraulic actuators and control units came up. Hydrox actuators do not set as exact requirements for the conditions as, for example, traditional electric actuator solutions. In addition, the actuators can be placed in a smaller space due to their compact size," says Hannu Perälä.
According to Hannu, the experiences with hydraulic controls have been positive, and the company has therefore invested more extensively in the Hydrox control solutions. With the overhaul program, the company has also needed valves in addition to control solutions. In this, Tampereen Sähkölaitos has relied on the products offered by Vexve.
"The cooperation with Vexve has gone smoothly and we have always received help from the experts when needed. In the future, we also plan to invest in hydraulic control solutions in locations where the remote control is necessary," states Hannu Perälä.
Tampere's goal is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The goal is to reduce greenhouse emissions by 80% from the 1990 level, and the remaining 20% will be compensated by increasing carbon sinks, such as forests and green areas.
In addition to basic repairs, Tampereen Sähkölaitos participates in achieving the goal, e.g. with the help of a new power plant project and using deep lake cooling for district cooling. The company's goal is to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 95% from the 2010 reference value.